Memorial Day has passed, which means that we are officially in BBQ season! This is a great time to get outside and reconnect with friends after a long hard winter. However, it can also be a time of temptation and ultimately guilt after over indulging. Here are some tips and healthy recipes that will help you enjoy every BBQ this season without any guilt!
Start With the Best Ingredients
The key to any healthy recipe is to start with the best ingredients. Choosing ingredients that are local and in season will not only create dishes that are more flavorful, but it will also help ensure you are getting the most nutrients from the food that you are eating. When it comes to organic vs. conventional, ideally you should choose organic. However, organic can be expensive and sometimes it’s not even locally available. In that case, check out What Should I Buy Organic to see where you should spend your money and where you can save it.
Give Veggies a Go
When we think of BBQ’s we usually think of hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken and steak. There are also some great options for a healthy vegetarian BBQ! Try this Grilled Avocado Stuffed with Lentils & Goat Cheese recipe. It is high in fiber and protein so it will keep you full much longer, making you less likely to find yourself and the bottom of a bag of chips! Ingredients found at Trader Joe’s are quick and easy, but you can find comparable options at any grocery store:
Grilled Avocado Stuffed with Lentils & Goat Cheese
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Bruschetta Sauce
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 avocados, ripe
- Combine the lentils, bruschetta sauce and goat cheese in a bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Slice both avocados in half and remove the seed. Place each half on a hot grill, flat side towards the flame and skin side up. Grill for approximately 1 minute.
- Fill the cavity of each avocado with ¼ cup of the lentil mixture and serve immediately!
Fill Up on Fruit
Oftentimes we turn to cupcakes and brownies for dessert because they are quick and easy. However, with a hot grill on hand and a ton of delicious fruit in season, grilling up some of your favorite fruit is a much faster and much healthier way to go! The heat of the grill will caramelize the natural sugars found in the fruit making a dessert everyone will love.
Grilled Peach & Greek Yogurt Sundae
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- Brush each peach half with coconut oil. Place each half on a hot grill, flat side towards the flame and skin side up. Grill for ~3-4 minutes.
- Serve each half with 2 tbsp. of Greek Yogurt immediately and enjoy!
Bring a Cocktail Alternative
Holiday BBQ’s are known for their sugary drinks and high calorie cocktails. Water is always an option, but let’s be honest – in the battle between plain water and margaritas, margaritas always win! Next time bring a cocktail alternative that is not only hydrating and cleansing but also tasty enough to give that margarita a run for its money!
Watermelon & Mint Infused Water
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 8 mint sprigs
- 1 lemon sliced
- 4 quarts water
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher and chill for 4 hours up to overnight.
- Strain and serve over ice.
Article first appeared on www.totalgymdirect.com.