The way we start our day can be the difference between a productive and empowered day and a day where you are overwhelmed and running behind. Follow this 15-minute morning ritual to get your day off on the right foot!
In 2013, the American College of Sports Medicine’s Health & Fitness Journal published a study outlining 12 essential exercises that, when done with high intensity and in order, will help keep you fit. Lucky for us, we live in a technological world, so there are now a number of free apps that will walk you through the exercises at an intensity based on your fitness level. My favorite is the one developed by Johnson & Johnson. You can download it here. Even if you are able to get in more exercise later in the day, starting your morning with this 7-minute routine will get your body primed for the day!
Many people are intimidated by meditation because it can seem time-consuming and uncomfortable at first. However, it has been shown that the frequency of meditation is much more important than the duration. Even as little as five minutes can reverse your body’s stress response, reduce blood pressure and anxiety, and increase creativity and your sense of well-being. In short, it can make you feel better and equip you to better deal with everyday stressors. A simple but powerful technique is the So Hum (I am That) Meditation:
- Find a quiet and comfortable spot where you won’t be disturbed. Set your timer for five minutes so you don’t have to worry about going too long.
- Close your eyes and begin to bring your attention to the sound of your breath.
- Take a long, slow breath in and hold it briefly before you release it slowly.
- Now, as you slowly inhale your next breath, silently say the word So.
- As you slowly release your breath, silently say the word Hum.
- Repeat So on each inhale and Hum on each exhale for the full five minutes. If your mind begins to wander, gently bring your attention back to the words So Hum.
3-Minute Salada Tea
Finally, it takes 2-3 minutes to brew the perfect cup of Salada Tea. So take the last few minutes of your daily ritual to brew a cup of Salada Green Tea Pineapple Mango Energy Tea. You end your ritual with a delicious cup of tea in hand and your mind and body prepared to take on the day!
And remember, a few small steps can lead to big changes.